I had never heard of Short Springs State Natural Area – and certainly not Machine Falls – until Kelly Stewart emailed me his fantastic panoramic photograph of Machine Falls dwarfing his friend! What a photo.
(Original photos by Kelly Stewart)
The Short Springs State natural area is a 420-acre area just north of Tullahoma in Coffee County – ruled completely by Mother Nature (and also jointly by TVA, the Tennessee Department of Conservation, and The City of Tullahoma) since being designated a state natural area in 1994.
For those of you who like to have all the info you can possibly have, there’s a Garmin graph of the elevation changes of the 3.5 mile hike at Short Springs on the EveryTrail.com site.
Also in the Short Springs area:
Machine Falls hiking trail – 2 mile loop
Bob Creek Trail
Rutledge Falls (nearby)
Resources: Short Springs – waterfalls, hiking in Tennessee
- Short Springs State Natural Area – Tennessee
- EveryTrail.com – Short Springs natural area
- Large Short Springs map generated by a Google Maps-based EveryTrail app
- Short Springs – Trails.com
- Tennessee Trails (Murfreesboro) – Short Springs State Natural Area
- Tullahoma official site of local government – Short Springs nature trail
- Outdoors in Tennessee – Short Springs
- Tennessee Vacation – Short Springs
- Wilderness Diary – Short Springs State Natural Area
- Google Earth track – Wilderness Diary (KMZ file download)
- Topographic map of Short Springs
Sunday, August 07, 2011